Sep 23, 2009

** Sri Lanka **

I am not a supporter of LTTE at all. I am not the one to raise my voice in support of Sri Lankan Tamils in the name of "Tamil". I feel that it is an internal matter of a different country. I do not like Pakistan interfering in Kashmir in the name of Islam - similarly, I do not like India interfering in the internal affairs of Sri Lanka.

That being said, news emanating from various quarters does not sound good. I am not interested in war crimes and all that - but, it worries me when I hear that millions of poeple are being subjected to undue harassment, made to live in sub-human conditions and a huge section of them are still being held under detention. It is not the label - "Tamilians" that it is worrying me. But, the news that millions of people are being subjected to harassment certainly pains me. Sri Lankan government, it seems, has hardly taken any major decisions on resolving the vexed Tamil issue. The President is now talking in terms of "No Fedaralism" - the same which he was ready to offer to LTTE two years ago(this , I feel, is where Prabhakaran erred very badly - He should have accepted it. The Tamils would have been living a lot more peacefully than what they are now.). If the President of Sri Lanka is taking no action to bring in equality in his nation between Sinhalese and Tamilians - the present victory that he had achieved over terrorism would become temporary. The treaty that ended WW-I sowed the seeds for WW-II. We should learn lessons from history. Wish the Sri Lankan elite would !!

No comments: