Jul 15, 2008

** Tirupathi **

Yesterday (14 Jul 08), I went to Tirupathi for the first time (not counting the one when my father carried me to the temple when I was a baby)!! I walked from 'Tirupathi' (Kheezh Tirupathi) to the Temple ('Thirumala'). I walked for 3 hrs non-stop, climbing the hill and across the stretch, which is about 11 kms in total. Since it was a sudden plan, I had not booked my tickets - both for the journey and for the 'darshan'. There are too many buses to Tirupathi from Chennai and the journey was comfortable and the 'Padha Yatra' was good too. We had to go through the 'free darshan' Q and I had to wait for - believe me - five and half hours for the one minute darshan of 'Perumal'. Here, I have to appreciate the wonderful arrangements that Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam (TTD) had made for the devotees. The long wait period was not difficult at all. We were accommodated in well laid out cells - which is being opened on 'first occupied first open' basis. The 'cells' have huge plasma TVs where the tamil version of Mahabaratha is being screened all the time (good that we dont have the telugu version yet!). The only area where the TTD can improve upon is in displaying 'better and organised' display/sign boards. There are quite a lot of such boards - but, for a first timer, you have to keep enquiring people about the way, procedure etc (there are 'information centres' though). But since I prefer to find my way without having to ask anyone - I found the facility inadequate. With lakhs of devotees thronging the temple every day, that sure is one area that TTD should need to take care of - both at the Tirupath and at the Thirumala (the terms used to locals to refer to, what we call, as Keezh Tirupathi and the temple on the hill respectively).

No comments: