Dec 15, 2007

** Beautiful Chennai ? **

Nov 27, 2007
------------

A friend of mine living in US had asked me on whats happening in Singara Chennai. I sent a reply, which I think is fit enough to be recorded in our blog... Here is what I wrote.

News about Singara Chennai .....????

This may be a myopic view of mine - but, as far as I see, this place is getting more and more crowded and it keeps increasing every day. That doesnt stop people from spending more and more to buy houses in the crowded city and making it more and more unlivable. Let us take the case of Arcot Road, close to which I live and commute every day.

Right at this time of sending out this mail, numerous flats are under construction in and around Arcot road. According to an available estimate, around 7500 houses are going to be added within the next few days (flats already under construction). As per the available trend, a small single bedroom house would cost around 30 lakhs (lowest). And a person who can spend 30 lakhs would be in possession of a car or would be getting one in a few days time. So, add 7500 cars to our narrow and filthy Arcot road.

If one thinks that this is all - I would consider him/her naive - because, I have not added shopping malls and multipliex theatres !! The old National theatre has been demolished and a new multiplex cinema theatre is under construction. So add another atleast 500 more vehicles (lowest estimate). And there is one huge shopping complex coming up at Alwarthirunagar junction. All these things are going to happen within the next two or three years. But not a single effort has been made to widen the awfuly encroached upon, crowded and narrow Arcot roads.

I would say that if you dont have any specific reason to live in Chennai - you should consider quitting the city to go and live in a remote village - far and away from the maddening crowd. That, in fact, is my retirement plan, if I happen to live till that time !!

No comments: