Dec 15, 2007

** Travel **

Reading one of my friend's musing on his journey experiences evoked some of my own experiences. I wish to write about two; .... about my own behaviour pattern and about how others behave during journey. The first of this series is about my own behaviour pattern.

Having travelled thousands of kilometers every year across the nation (had been part of my job) - I have had innumerable experiences. But more than the experiences - its the way (what I would call as "matured") - its the way I matured as a traveller that is of some interest (I think!).

Initially, when I joined a new job and when I was in my 20s - everytime I come(go) on(back after) leave, I always had a group of friends as company. We were a very cheerful lot, well behaved and always had many interesting things to discuss/debate. Co-passengers would soon become our friends. But, as years passed by, we probably realised that our behaviour was more external and not from within. We transformed from being very "vocal" travellers to "silent" travellers. During later stages - even while travelling with the same set of friends - our journey was more silent and we were more involved in observing and reading (and ofcourse sleeping, which is what I love the most while on train). Recently, I had an experience when I had travelled continuously for more than 35 hours and still did not utter a single word and yet had enjoyed every bit of my journey. I am not sure whether I attained this 'maturity' - because of age; because of lesser comapanions; or because I didnt have interesting co-passengers !!!

Whenever I used to read about English people being tight lipped (stiff upper lip!) - I think that it is not a handicap - but a better behaviour pattern. Instead of keeping us concentrated on our own words - it helps and allows us to "listen" to others !!

Nevertheless, I try to be careful in understanding the difference between "silence" and "sorrowness". Sometimes I have exprienced that "silence" leads me to some sick and negative thoughts (yes, not silent internally!) - during such occasions, I try to break silence and laugh out than getting into the depression mode.

No comments: