Jan 27, 2008

** Bharat Ratna - Cont'd **

If you have something as the HIGHEST award and honour - it should not be given to the "best amongst the AVAILABLE". To me, it is simple - if no one deserves - then DONT give it. I am not surprised at the fact that the award has not been given to anyone in the past seven years.

Talking about the yardstick - YES, I do agree that we lack one. Moreover, over a period of time, this award has been totally politicized. I think, this syndrome started when Rajiv Gandhi decided to confer the award on MGR for sheer political reasons.

Gandhi is considered above this award. So, I think, we should set such a high standard - someone of the stature and caliber of Gandhiji. I dont think that there is a single politician in our nation who deserves this award and hence my view that they should be kept out of it. I am ready to change my view, if we get to see a Politician of the calibre of Gandhiji in our life time. History provides a twisted picture when you learn that both MGR and APJ Abdul Kalam were the recipients of this award. If MGR deserves the award - then why not NT Rama Rao?

No comments: